Monday, June 12, 2006

The Rooster Blues

I suck at poker. There I said it. It was hard to write to be honest….really hard. Yet, the truth is that I’ve been stuck for a while now and the end doesn’t seem near. I have stuck to my guns and tried to win at this thing called hold’em. I use to be a winning player at this game…but Stud was just too good for me to pass up so I devoted myself to stud more than any other game. Then this year I was determined to turn a new leaf and become a good hold’em player…pfft! I have never ended up in the negative for any year but this could be the first.

So I sit here trying to figure out where I am. We have all been here and it’s never easy to tell yourself that you have more leaks than the Titanic…well those aren’t leeks son, those are rips on the side of the boat. But none the less, I sit at the table and try to grind it out. Some days are better than others but those bad days are just so damn bad. Nuff said. I have never written a bad beat post on my blog and I don’t intend to start.

So where is this post going…I don’t know…I’ve tried to sit at a stud table a few times but the truth is that I lost my touch there, too…booo!! The house of cards is falling and The Rooster is at the bottom of it….heehee! All is not gloomy my friends, Grubby is going to teach me how to play slots…heehee! No, I don’t play those money taking machines…heehee!

Writing here and laughing makes me heal to be honest. My losses seem very small when it you compared to what some of our friends have gone through the last year. Serious.

Poker has taught me so much about myself over the last five years. How to win and lose (sometimes lose big) and just stay even keel because tomorrow is a new day. I wanted to thank my friends who have been supportive during this time and those who I know would have lent a kind word if they knew the skid downward I have been on.

Also, I have learned that not everyone approves of this game we play and lifestyle we live. I have tried to devote my life to so many other things this year besides poker (and this is probably where my leaks come from). Yet, for some reason the cards on my desk keep calling my name the scream, "Rooster...Rooster...pick me up please." Not sure what it is…I suppose I enjoy cards because it’s something I’m good at…I like the friends I have made from the old guys at the stud tables to the young guns at the no-limit tables.

Well nothing much of poker here. I just thought I would post something to let everyone know that I’m alive and trying to survive on the felt.

6 Comments:

At 11:38 AM, Blogger Jordan said...

I've only played with you live once, but you gave me some good advice. You know the game. You are a poker player, bottom line, and if you keep grinding, it will turn around. Consider this training. You are working to better things in the future by going through some tough exercises now. Good luck.

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Jaxia said...

I feel ya, man.

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Slots solve everything.

Stud is high variance but you know that, replay those hands and see where those bets are going.

If its a beat, shrug it off.
If its bad play, peck it into your head not to do it again.

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

You suck, your good, you suck.. make up your mind you donke.. err rooster.. I have never seen you play so what do I know? Just make yourself better man.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger TeamScottSmith said...

Can rooster's suck?? I mean, how does that work, having a beak??

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Ugarles said...

Lean back in front of your big screen TV and think about whether you really are as bad as you think you are right this second.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home