Thursday, December 06, 2007

RIP David Edward "Chip" Reese (March 28, 1951 – December 4, 2007)



I have never idolized someone in my life. The closest thing I’ve ever had to an idol died two days ago, David “Chip” Reese. I never met Chip, never got to shake his hand; mostly I just wanted to thank him for the knowledge he dealt in his chapter on 7 Card Stud in Super System. And it goes without saying that our little game of cards has lost a giant in the game.

The pages of that chapter have been the most potent information ever dealt in a poker book….hands down. That chapter alone is better than many complete 7 Card Stud books that I have read. So much information is departed in that chapter that I have read it over 20 times….EASILY. I find myself often reading and trying to dissect Chip’s thought process and I try to hear his voice. I know, I know that may sound a bit odd and drastic but I honestly think to understand the many layers to that chapter you have to read it that way.

Yet one of the things I always heard and read about Chip was that he was an even tempered man. He was cool and calm even after losing a big hand. I also read that he had a huge presence about him when he walked into a room. Why wouldn’t he…the guy was above smart and probably the best damn poker player in the room.

In closing, I wish you the best in the after life Chip. Don’t forget to check raise big JC on the river after you hit the boat. Also, sorry it took me so long to write this but I really was in shock and found it hard to believe that you had passed. I’m sad we never got to meet but make sure and save me a seat and no need to poke at me, I know you are playing the perfect game for me and also playing my best games and I will pony up and take a shot.

1 Comments:

At 8:31 PM, Blogger CarmenSinCity said...

Congratulations on your big win Rooster! Coming back in June to defend your title?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home