Saturday, January 22, 2005

Pulling The Trigger

I find it particularly interesting how I play in freeze out games. For some reason I don’t pull the trigger. Being that I tend to be a very conservative player I see how this counts against me in no-limit games. Yes, I know, I know, you can’t be scared and sometimes you have to be just put it all on the line. I agree full heartedly with this take on things. Yet, I think I have become so use to grinding it out on limit poker that I forget that going for it and losing is o.k.

I think many people find it odd that I’m very conservative on the poker table. I guess it has to do with picking and choosing what I’m crazy man at. For instance, I can go out on the town and paint it red on any given day…yet, at the table, I love to buy my time and just wait for my premium hands. I often see people raise with AX…I’m not that person, unless they are high and suited of course. I think sometimes people play the AX hand too aggressive on no-limit. I tend to come in the money on games because I'm willing to wait and wait…kind of like low-limit games a bit. I often do see where if I was a bit more aggressive I could have moved up in the standings and possibly won the tournament. Sometimes I will play the hammer just to throw some people off, but for the most part everything suited and high.

I think the one way to combat this bad habit is playing those sucky 5.00 buck 10 seated tables on any given poker site. You get to play aggressive and hope that the best comes out of it. And you know that in the end the most you can win is like 20.00 bucks for 45 minutes of play. When you can win that much in a single hand in 4/8 so if you bust out it doesn’t cost you much…just a quick hand at the 4/8 limit.

In closing, just trying to work through all these things because I feel and see myself being bluffed out of a lot of hands. I thought by writing this that I would work through this fear of pulling the trigger. In any case, hope all of you are doing well in the poker world.

1 Comments:

At 12:29 PM, Blogger Pauly said...

That was my problem. People know I'm a guy who will fold good hands. It's easier to bluff a good player than to bluff a fish or someone who has no idea what they are doing. Alas, it depends on the level of play. AT micro limits, you almost have to call because people will play second pair strongly.

Any unsuited ace outside of Big Slick or Mrs. Slick is toruble if you ask me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home